STEM Learning in GPPSD provides students an opportunity to develop a passion in the areas of "Science, Technology, Engineering and Math." Students will investigate and explore innovative and creative solutions to real world problems. Connecting with experts, collaborating with community partners, and integrating Indigenous perspectives will enhance opportunities for students to engage with the world around them and prepare for future careers.
Elements of STEM Learning
- Integrating STEM education across curriculums
- Enhancing classroom experiences with field studies
- Preparing students to be engaged and responsible members of the community
- Integrating Indigenous perspectives
- Connecting with experts
- Collaborating with community partners
- Providing exposure to and awareness of STEM oriented careers
A STEM student…
- Shows an interest in science, the natural world, and how the world works
- Will develop inquiry skills through student-directed exploration and investigation
- Participates in a collaborative learning environment
- Engages in problem solving and critical thinking
- Makes practical connections between their studies and the real world
STEM Learning is offered as a Program of Choice for Kindergarten to Grade 8 students at:
- Crystal Park School,
- Derek Taylor Public School and
- Hillside Community School.
STEM Learning is integrated into classrooms during the regular school day. The whole school participates in activities, field experiences and projects throughout the year. Grade 7 and 8 students also have opportunities to participate in STEM focused option courses. If your neighbourhood boundary school does not offer a Program of Choice, parents may apply to be enrolled full time at one of the designated Program of Choice schools, students can only be enrolled in one school in the Division.
Families enrolling in STEM Learning will be responsible for transportation.
There are no Program of Choices fees for this new opportunity; however. there may be STEM option fees for grade seven and eight.
See our STEM Learning Registration Page HERE