The Grande Prairie Public School Division offers families three Preschool opportunities for children who are 3 and 4-year-old:
- French Immersion Preschool
- Montessori Casa de Bambini (Preschool and Kindergarten)
- Play Partners
Read more about these Programs of Choice below.
In addition, we offer Program Unit Funded (PUF) Pre-Kindergarten for children diagnosed with moderate to severe language delay and/or disability by a qualified professional (pediatrician, psychiatrist, psychologist, speak-language pathologist) and meets the Alberta Education Special Education Coding Criteria. Read more: www.gppsd.ab.ca/PUF.
Learn a second language through fun, exploration and discovery. Our gentle-approach to language acquisition, offered in the school setting of École Montrose is the perfect opportunity for your 3 and 4-year-old to learn and grow. Staff are fully bilingual and ready to support your child’s development. Students in this program have access to all school facilities.
As part of our program, your child will:
- Develop French Language through instruction in the language and culture
- Learn through opportunities for exploration, play, discussion, risk taking, problem solving and decision-making along with small group instruction lead by an early childhood educator
- Develop academic, physical, emotional and social skills. We educate the whole child
- Learn early literacy and numeracy skills along with basic French vocabulary through whole group and small group instruction
Our preschool program is for children 3 and 4-year-old. Children must be three years old by September 1st of the year of enrollment and must have self-sufficient toileting skills.
Children attend preschool for two three hour sessions a week: either two mornings. Cost of tuition is $200 per month.
The Grande Prairie Public School Division offers Play Partners at Swanavon School and Crystal Park School. Each school year, two to four children are accepted as Play Partner students. They attend a half day program, depending on capacity.
Play Partner Qualities:
To qualify as a Play Partner, a child needs to have strong skills in the areas of language, self-help skills and social development. They act as valuable play, language, and behaviour role models for students in the PUF Pre-Kindergarten Program (students who have mild, moderate and severe disabilities and or delays).
- Children must be between the ages of 3 and 4-year-old by August 31st of the year of enrollment to apply
- Parents/Guardians send an email requesting an application to PUF@gppsd.ab.ca
- Each applicant goes through an application and screening process
- Selected applicants participate in a two-week trial basis to ensure they have age-appropriate skill development
- Successful applicants receive confirmation of acceptance into program
Play Partner spaces pay a fee of $265 per month, (to be finalized by GPPSD Board of Trustees at the end of May each year). Parents are not expected to pay during the two-week trial. If the program is full your child can be put on a waitlist. A pre-authorized debit form is set up at the school for monthly withdrawals.
Parents/Guardians interested in the Play Partner program for their child can request an application by sending an email to PUF@gppsd.ab.ca.