Bus passes are required to ride the school bus, even on the first day of school. Please apply for busing to ensure you have a bus pass for the start of school.
Busing services for the Grande Prairie Public School Division are provided by First Student Canada.
To be eligible for a bus pass a student must live within the Grande Prairie city limits and
- attending Kindergarten to Grade 3 and living 1.7 km or more by the shortest route from the closest school within the attendance boundary
- attending grades 4 to 12 and living 2.4 km or more by the shortest route from the closest school within the attendance boundary.
Students attending Aspen Grove (2022/2023 school year) and École Montrose having to cross Resources Road are eligible if less than 2.4 km by the shortest route from the closest school within the attendance boundary.
Students attending Hillside Community School living in the Smith subdivision
Special needs students attending a designated school program may be eligible upon authorization.
- School of Choice students (Alexander Forbes Academy, Charles Spencer Academy (not including Academy Athletics), Christian, Montessori) may access busing for a fee from an existing stop if there is room on the bus.
- The fee is to be paid in full for the entire school year at the school office prior to the student receiving their bus pass. Pre-authorized debit is also available. The first month's payment is paid up front at the school and a pre-authorized debit form is filled out and given to the Transportation Department. Payments will be withdrawn from your account on the first of every month. Parents are responsible for payment of the bus pass until the bus pass is handed back in to the Transportation Office. Two weeks notice is required to cancel a pre-authorized debit If your child is not riding the bus, please get their bus pass in as soon as possible so more charges are not incurred. Students must meet the 2.4 km walk distance to their School of Choice.
Bridge Network students living 2.4 km or more away by the shortest route from Lions Learning Centre have to be taking a minimum 50% course load to be eligible for a City Transit pass.
Bus passes for eligible students in Preschool, Kindergarten, and Grades 1-12 are to be picked up at the School Office.
Bus Pass Information
To receive a bus pass, students must fill out a bus pass application through their Parent Portal by using the link on the Busing page.
The processing of the bus pass application may take up to 10 working days, except at the start of the school year. If you have applied after the June 30 application deadline, your application will be processed in the order that it is received. The parent/guardian is responsible for the transportation of the student until they receive their bus pass from the school.
For information about bus pass eligibility, contact GPPSD Transportation Coordinator Connie Hartel at 780-539-7419.
BUS SAFETY RULES
- The driver is in full charge of the bus at all times and his/her direction must be obeyed. As the driver is responsible for all the students on the bus it is essential that the driver receive respect, consideration, and co-operation from students.
- Seats are assigned on the bus and the seating planned is to be adhered to.
- Students should be at the bus stop five minutes before the scheduled stop time. Line up in the safety zone and maintain a 1 meter safety zone around the bus at all times. Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching. Use the handrail while boarding the bus.
- Students must present and scan their bus pass in order to board the bus.
- Students must not put any part of his/her body outside of the window.
- Students must stay seated while the bus is in motion.
- Students must sit facing the front of the bus.
- Students should talk quietly.
The following are strictly prohibited on the bus:
- Throwing items on the bus or out the bus windows
- Alcohol or drugs
- Firearms, knives, or weapons of any kind
- Any type of sleds
- Large items. Items must fit on the student's lap
- If a student is causing a problem on the bus, the driver will notify school administration in writing.
- Parents are requested to notify the GPPSD Transportation Office when their child(ren) will no longer require bus services.
- Parents will be responsible for financial reimbursement should their child(ren) cause any damage to the bus.
- Video cameras may be used on school buses for safety and/or discipline purposes.
- Parents are to ensure that their child(ren) are adequately dressed for weather conditions.
- Preschool and Kindergarten bus riders must be met at the bus stop by a responsible guardian.
- If a responsible caregiver is not at the stop the child(ren) will be kept on the school bus and brought back to the First Student Office. It is the parent's responsibility to pick the child(ren) up from the First Student Office in a timely manner.
- Parents are responsible to review safety procedures with their child(ren) and encourage them to obey all traffic rules and school bus regulations, including the procedures for crossing the street.