Sometimes students cannot attend school because of illness, injury, family problems, housing instability or involvement with the justice system.
Sometimes students will not attend school to avoid bullying, unsafe conditions, harassment, embarrassment related to learning difficulties, physical challenges, new environment or even sanctions for being late.
Sometimes students do not attend school because they may not be aware of the importance of going to school.
What can you do?
- Make attendance a priority
- Be sure your child gets enough sleep
- Have a regular homework schedule
- Communicate with your child’s teachers
- Encourage your child to participate in school clubs and after-school activities
If your child can’t, won’t or doesn’t attend, please make the attendance connection with your child’s school.