We are pleased to expand the programming options for students interested in joining The Academy Sports and Dance program in the 2021-2022 School Year. Changes to programming include:
- Expanding the number of schools offering students access to the full Academy program (Hockey, Dance and Soccer) from Grade 4 to 8.
- Alexander Forbes School- The Academy
- Aspen Grove School
- École Montrose
- Isabel Campbell Public School new
- Grande Prairie Christian School new
- Derek Taylor Public School new
- Charles Spencer High School
- Grande Prairie Composite High School new
- A reduction in fees, for all programs.
- The introduction of a new high school Academy Athletics programming at Charles Spencer High School and the Grande Prairie Composite High School, to support individual student-athlete development.
All GPPSD students in grades 4-12 at the schools identified above are eligible to access The Academy programming, subject to the conditions of the program. If a student's current home school is not included in the list above, they may request a boundary exemption to attend Alexander Forbes School-The Academy. Transportation will be provided within city limits, using First Student, and is included in the program cost.
"We are thrilled to be able to expand our Academy programming to other schools in the Grande Prairie Public School Division and provide more opportunities for students. For the past 12 years, our Academy has provided passion-based programming that engages students and provides student-athletes with another avenue to develop as responsible citizens," said Paul Therrien, Director of Student Supports at the Grande Prairie Public School Division.
"The Academy has been an important part of GPPSD for over a decade. We believe the opportunity for students to engage daily in their passion for sport and athletics helps support their academics as well as their overall growth and development. We are proud of the success Academy students experience after graduation from high school, whether they continue on with their athletic career or not, and our Board is pleased to provide them this opportunity," said John Lehners, Chair of the Board of Trustees for the Grande Prairie Public School Division.
- Learn more about The Academy by joining our Facebook Live 'Open House' event on Wednesday, Mar. 24 2021, at 6:30 p.m.
- Registration opens Tuesday, Mar. 30, 2021, at 8:30 a.m.
To learn more, please visit our website
and connect with the program on Social Media: GPPSD2357 on Facebook and
In the news:
Mar. 23, 2021, Here we grow again -- More Academy options for Grande Prairie Public school students | Grande Prairie Daily Herald Tribune
Mar. 20, 2021, Grande Prairie Public School Division expanding The Academy program next school year | EverythingGP