Welcome to the Grande Prairie Public School Division's 2021 Trustee Election page. This page contains important information regarding School Board election procedures and regulations for our school division. Grande Prairie's municipal election will be held on Monday, Oct. 18, 2021. People residing in Grande Prairie will have an opportunity to vote for a Mayor, Councillors, Public School Division Trustees and Catholic School Division Trustees.
- Nomination period: Jan. 4, 2021, to Sept. 20, 2021
- Nomination Day: Monday, Sept. 20, 2021, at City Hall, 10205 98 Street, First Floor, North Conference Room between 10 a.m. and noon.
- Election day: Monday, Oct. 18, 2021
What is the Role of a School Trustee?
Trustees act as advocates to ensure our students receive the best possible educational opportunities. Trustees must be prepared to put the needs of students first and must also be willing to act in the best interests of all division schools and students.
As elected officials, trustees are accountable to the community and responsible for overseeing and directing the school division's operations. They are communicators, policy makers, role models and politicians. Their duties include:
- setting priorities for the school system based on available resources,
- adopting an annual budget,
- developing policies to guide administration,
- advocating to ensure education remains a public priority.
In the Grande Prairie Public School Division, the Board of Trustees are guided by the policies of the Board. Board Policy 2
describes the Role of the Board and Board Policy 3
describes the Role of the individual Trustee. Other policies enacted by the Board identify expectations for Trustee behaviour, describe key features of Board Operations, and identify what authority the Board delegates to the Superintendent of Schools.
How to Become a Candidate?
Candidates seeking trusteeship must be:
- at least 18 years old,
- a Canadian citizen,
- a resident of the city of Grande Prairie for six consecutive months immediately preceding the election.
Candidates may not be employed by a school division, charter school or private school on nomination day. An employee who wishes to be nominated as a candidate must apply, before nomination, for a leave of absence prior to their last working day.
If you are interested in becoming a Grande Prairie Public School Division Trustee:
Step one - Check out the following documents
Step two - Contact the Returning Officer to make an appointment prior to dropping off the nomination package