The content on this page is NOT up to date. Please click on the following link: Parkside Montessori
The Grande Prairie Public School District is pleased to offer the Montessori Casa dei Bambini (Preschool and Kindergarten) and Elementary Montessori Program (Grades 1 to 5) at the first dedicated Montessori School in Grande Prairie, Parkside Montessori.
What is Montessori?
Developed by Italian educator, Maria Montessori, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Montessori method is characterized by an emphasis on self-directed activities on the part of the child. It stresses the importance of adapting the child's learning environment to his or her developmental level. The Montessori Method is:
- Hands-on with tactile materials
- A process of exploration and discovery
- Focused on nurturing a natural curiosity and love of learning in a social environment
Dr. Montessori's observations of children led by her to design a number of multi-sensory, sequential and self-correcting materials that facilitate the learning of new skills.
Our Montessori Program Features
- Multi-aged groupings (3-6 years, 6-9 years, 9-12 years)
- Individually prepared lessons (small groups of 2-6 children)
- Uninterrupted work periods (2-3 hours)
- Children working and learning together
- Sensory rich environment with hands-on learning.
- Carefully prepared environments
- Long blocks of uninterrupted, student-directed work periods.
- Individualized curricula
- Program staff with specialized Montessori training (North American Montessori Centre) and certified Alberta teachers
Casa dei Bambini
The Parkside Montessori Casa dei Bambini is for children aged three to six and encompasses Pre-school and Kindergarten.
Montessori Preschool runs in three hour sessions:
- Monday/Wednesday Mornings (8:40 A.M. – 11:40 A.M.)
- Monday/Wednesday Afternoons (12:05 P.M. – 3:05 P.M.)
- Tuesday/Thursday Mornings (8:40 A.M. – 11:40 A.M)
- Tuesday/Thursday Afternoons (12:05 P.M. – 3:05 P.M.)
- Full days are also offered (8:40 A.M. – 3:05 P.M.)
Please note that tuition fees are applicable-see tuition payment schedule for more information.
Montessori Kindergarten is a half-day Monday to Thursday program. Morning classes run from 8:40am to 11:40am and afternoon classes run from 12:05pm to 3:05pm. The Kindergarten registration fee is $50.00 and there is a Montessori supply fee of $125.00 for a total of $175.00.
Elementary Montessori Program
The Parkside Montessori Program is for children Grades 1 to 6. The program brings together the Alberta curriculum along with the Montessori philosophy and outcomes.
Children entering this program must have Montessori experience. There is a $70.00 school fee and a $250.00 supply fee for a total of $320.00 for the year. The Elementary Montessori follows the same hours and calendar as the rest of the school.
Families interested in the Parkside Montessori Program may contact the Grande Prairie Public School District at 780-532-4491 until August 21 or E-Mail: email@example.com. After August 21, please register at Parkside Montessori.
Additional Program Features
- Students have freedom of choice as to what they will work with under the Guide's direction
- Students experience the full range of school life which includes music, library time, physical activity, and field trips into the community
- Exploration and discovery of their world is an essential element to their experience
- Students benefit from educational "best practices" of individualized, hands on learning
- The Montessori environment encourages self-discipline
- Students learn independently through carefully selected materials
- Materials have control-of- error which encourages students to self-correct
- The environment naturally lends itself to inquiry-based learning
- Within the classroom and school, socialization is central to creating a caring community
- Children and their needs are at the heart of the classroom and school
- Students have the opportunity to explore a variety of subjects and activities that may include: Language, Mathematics, Geography, Arts & Culture, Botany, Zoology, Health Sciences, Astronomy & amp; Matter, History, and Practical Life.
- The complete Alberta Curriculum is covered by students in kindergarten and up
More Information and Resources