Historically, Montrose was the name given to the homestead house of Rev. and Mrs. Alexander Forbes, local Presbyterian pioneers. “Montrose” is the Scottish area from which Mrs. Forbes came.
Nearly one hundred years later the Montrose name continues in local history as being the name of our Junior High. This is the third local public school to bear the name “Montrose.” In 1917, the Forbes Family donated land to build the original Montrose School, which at that time was the largest brick building North of Edmonton. When this structure was torn down, the Montrose name was used to identify another downtown school in 1962 that was still on a piece of the original homestead land. The school catered to grade 7, 8 and 9s and was one of the largest junior highs in Alberta.
On January 4, 1994 the current Montrose Junior High School was officially opened and is the only school facility remaining bearing the name of Mrs. Forbes homeland.